Feedback

How can we make DocumentCloud better?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add an Oembed API

Oembed is a specification for fetch the HTML code to embed an object in a third-party site. (http://oembed.com/). Many other large sites use it (YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter).

In practice it allows editors to paste the object URL onto one line in the CMS, and the for the CMS to go away and fetch the HTML to insert. The CMS caches the HTML and any other metadata returned (such as download URL).

The Oembed API call can also request customisations in the returned HTML response such as background color, height, and embed options such as what tabs show.

Having…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Responsive embed

The current embed code options include full page or fixed pixel width.
    With the rise in popularity of mobile devices and the move toward device-agnostic responsive web designs, a percentage-based width embed that can scale with it's container would be welcome.
    Right now the fixed-pixel width of the embed container offers a less-than-ideal user experience when viewed on a mobile device smaller than the specified embed width.
    From the looks of the code the embed generates, adding this option would only require reconfiguring certain fixed-width divs to use percentage-based widths instead.
    Thanks for considering.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all. We’re still working on our full responsive strategy, but in the meantime Jeremy Ashkenas adapted our embedded viewer to adapt its width responsively. Just add `responsive: true` to the options hash in the embed code.

We haven’t yet made this a global default or added it to the embed wizard; for now you have to add it manually, although our WordPress plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/documentcloud/) does default its embeds to responsive.

There’s much more we’d like to do before calling our embedded viewer truly responsive, but this will at least let your embeds work on mobile devices without breaking layout.

3. skip to page

Skip to page n of a large search result or document collection

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. "Back to story" button

Is there any (easy) way to provide navigation back to a story that links to a DocumentCloud document? This also comes from user and reporter feedback from the Chicago Tribune's inline annotation system.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Yep — that’s what the “Related Article URL” field is for in DocumentCloud. It will add a “Related Article” link to the viewer’s navigation.

Note that you can also put HTML links directly into your annotations, if you’d like to link back directly to the story from within a note.

5. anchor links to annotations

I noticed you can anchor link to specific pages in the document viewer - like #p5 to get to page five. I wonder if there's an equivalent for annotations? our redesign makes the sidebar a little hard to fit into the space and I was thinking maybe we'd link to some of the annotations from the top of the page above the document viewer

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Is it possible to update the arbitrary meta data tags via the API?

I just noticed them for the first time in the UI.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Change text at the bottom of annotation block from "written by " to "annotated by"

The phrase "written by" can lead to confusion. Did the user write the text, or the annotation around. I think it could be clearer if it said something more like "annotated by"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Redacting single words or lines

There really needs to be a way to redact a specific section of a document, like a single name, address or phone number in a court document. This many seem overly granular, but this functionality is a must to protect privacy/victims. Deleting a page is not a similar option.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. UTF-8 character support

If I go to the "Text" tab when viewing a document that contains accents (like any French language document), all the accented characters become question marks: "?". This affects the faceting on Analyze > View Entities; cities like "Montréal" show up as "Montr". This is a critical issue for my jurisdiction (Quebec), where the official language is French.

I know Solr can be configured to handle these characters - I don't know if you're using another library for text extraction before sending it to Solr.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This should be resolved, as we can process many non-English documents and encode the text files as UTF-8.

To properly process the docs in a non-English language, click the pen/edit icon on the upload modal and choose the language before uploading. For existing documents, you can change their Document Info to indicate another language and then reprocess the text. You can find more info in our help docs: https://www.documentcloud.org/help/modification

11. Allow for deep-linking to specific parts of a document

At least, I couldn't find a way to do this. But it'd be convenient when referring to specific passages or sections of a document in an article.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Sort documents in project by those with notes

If I have 150 documents in a project, and have notes in 25 of them, I want to be able to sort the project to show me only the 25 documents with notes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

While you can’t sort by notes, you can use “filter: annotated” to limit your search to documents which include annotations.

If you watch the search bar, you’ll see that opening a project really just searches for documents assigned to that project, so a search for annotated documents in a project called “Interrogation Memo Report (DOJ)” will look about like this:

project: “Interrogation Memo Report (DOJ)” filter: annotated

13. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add an Update API

Have an API that is similar to the upload API but accepts a document id and update the existing document's meta data

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. More embed-friendly document viewers

We'd like to allow our readers and partners to embed the DocumentCloud viewer in their site, but the large sidebar makes it visually tough to do without taking up a huge amount of real estate (we did it anyways here: http://bit.ly/bpayAv). I think this would be a widely useful feature, see how the Globe and Mail uses Scribd: http://bit.ly/bMr7UD

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Search descriptions

Doesn't look like I can search for words in a document's description?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Include project names in search results

Add a project(s) field to the JSON returned by the search API, so I can organize the results that way.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, Chris.

I’ve pushed an update to DocumentCloud.org that provides a “/api/projects.json” call. You can hit that using HTTP basic auth (preferably over SSL) as your account, and it’ll spit back a list of your projects, including titles and document ids.

Hopefully you can use that to import docs automatically. If you need anything else, let me know.

19. Ack! I keep deleting annotations

Can the Document Cloud system auto-save annotations? Often times I'll write an annotation, then inadvertently click the red X without pressing OK or save, and the annotation will disappear.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I can't annotate across pages.

I'm having trouble making private annotations that span a page break.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base